Home >Migration to Australia >Visas Categories >Family & Spousal Visas

Family and spousal visa types

    • Adoption visa (subclass 102)
    • Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 114)
    • Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 838)
    • Aged Parent visa (subclass 804)
    • Carer visa (subclass 836)
    • Carer visa (subclass 116)
    • Child visa (subclass 101)
    • Child visa (subclass 802)
    • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
    • Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)
    • Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
    • Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)
    • Dependent Child visa (subclass 445)
    • New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (temporary) visa (subclass 461)
    • Orphan Relative (subclass 117)
    • Orphan Relative (subclass 837)
    • Parent visa (subclass 103)
    • Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclass 309 100)
    • Partner visa (subclass 801 820)
    • Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)
    • Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
    • Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)

Contributory parent visa (subclass 143)


This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.​

You could apply for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) before this visa. Applying for the temporary visa and then this permanent visa costs more but the costs are spread across the two visas over a longer period of time.

You could also apply for a Parent visa (subclass 103). The subclass 103 visa costs less than this visa but there can be long waiting times of up to 30 years.


You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country.